Can one increase production using a trellis for tomatoes?
Are you experiencing low yield from your tomato garden without a trellis for tomatoes? Do you want to produce good quality crops with resistance to common diseases? Then you must switch to the use of trellis for your tomato garden. A well prepared trellis for tomatoes provides the plant stem, fruits and its growing fragile branches all the necessary support they need to grow, saving farm space and with high produce while also ensuring that the plants receive a good air circulation and sunlight required for quick ripening and disease control.
Tomatoes are one of the many vegetables that need adequate care to grow. When left to grow without much care, they will vine on the bare ground. This will expose them to dangers like pest and disease attack, foot traffic, inadequate light infusion, and dirt.
Trellising with netting is the new technique for most vegetables today although it produces the most beautiful, good quality, healthy and disease resistant crops. Methods like the use of tomato cages and tomato staking cannot be an alternative when trellis net is available because they cannot offer same advantages.
Building Trellis for Tomatoes
To build a well-structured trellis for your tomato garden, you will need the following items.
- lengths of 6-foot bamboo stick
- A scissors
- Tape measure
- Lengths of a nylon raffia or sisal twine or even better plastic support netting as a trellis for your tomatoes
- Somebody to assist you
Advantages of using Trellis for Tomatoes
- Trellis netting provides the necessary support every tomato plant needs to grow to maturity and produce fruits.
- High crop yield will always result when using this method in your tomato farming.
- Pest and Disease Control: Because of the well-spaced gaps between the plants, there’s no room for clustering which encourages the spread of diseases. Disease when spotted on a particular plant can be isolated and taken care of easily. Rodents are easily spotted out too.
- Adequate circulation of sunlight is made possible thereby hastening ripening.
- Crops harvested from trellises made out of netting are of high quality, they come neat and beautiful.
- Tomato fruits grow bigger here since they are given every support needed.
- Less work for the farmer. After building your trellis, no gymnastic moves will be required in picking your fruits as this can be done easily without much stress.
- Less damaged or over ripped tomatoes. Since the plants are well spaced there will be nothing like hidden fruits. You can easily spot ripped fruits as soon as they are ripped.
- With trellis for your tomato garden, they will be little or no risk of foot trafficking when walking around.
Disadvantages of Using Trellises for Tomatoes Made with Raffia
A few disadvantages associated with this method of growing your tomatoes include
- Extra Work: Some farmers may see making trellis for their garden a tedious work.
- Choking of tomato plants: Trellising hydroponic tomatoes old-wire method with raffia will result to the plants been choked to death. When raffia is used to support the fruit cluster weight, it prevents the plant’s peduncle from bending thereby choking it.
- Increased costs: using trellis raffia twine will mean additional cost of labor, material cost all for building the structure.
How does trellis netting improve yields over raffia twine in tomato groves.
- A good netting used as a trellis for tomatoes is meant for long-term farming: if a farmer practices annual crop rotation system of farming, then building a trellis netting is the best an option for him/her. Because you can re-utilize the existing trellis system for another crop cycle.
- Netting can be reused many times, especially is it was installed in a shadehouse or greenhouse.