Trellis for Tomatoes as a way to Support your Crop
Can one increase production using a trellis for tomatoes?Are you experiencing low yield from your tomato garden without a trellis for tomatoes? Do you want to produce good quality crops with resistance to common diseases? Then you must switch to the use of trellis for your tomato garden. A well prepared trellis for tomatoes provides the plant stem, fruits and its growing fragile branches all the necessary support they need to grow, saving farm space and with high produce while also ensuring that the plants receive a good air circulation and sunlight required for quick ripening and disease control.Tomatoes are one of the many vegetables that need adequate care to grow. When left to grow without much care, they will vine on the bare ground. This will expose them to dangers like pest and disease attack, foot traffic, inadequate light infusion, and dirt.Trellising is the new technique for most vegetables today because it produces the most beautiful, good quality, healthy and disease resistant crops. Methods like the use of cage and staking cannot be an alternative when trellis is available because they can’t offer same advantages. Building Trellis for Tomatoes To build a well-structured trellis for your tomato garden, you will need the following items.
- lengths of 6-foot bamboo stick
- A scissors
- Tape measure
- Lengths of a nylon or sisal twine or even better plastic netting as a trellis for tomatoes
- Somebody to assist you
- Trellis netting provides the necessary support every tomato plant needs to grow to maturity and produce fruits.
- High crop yield will always result when using this method in your tomato farming.
- Pest and Disease Control: Because of the well-spaced gaps between the plants, there’s no room for clustering which encourages the spread of diseases. Disease when spotted on a particular plant can be isolated and taken care of easily. Rodents are easily spotted out too.
- Adequate circulation of sunlight is made possible thereby hastening ripening.
- Crops harvested from trellises made out of netting are of high quality, they come neat and beautiful.
- Tomato fruits grow bigger here since they are given every support needed.
- Less work for the farmer. After building your trellis, no gymnastic moves will be required in picking your fruits as this can be done easily without much stress.
- Less damaged or over ripped tomatoes. Since the plants are well spaced there will be nothing like hidden fruits. You can easily spot ripped fruits as soon as they are ripped.
- With trellis for your tomato garden, they will be little or no risk of foot trafficking when walking around.
- Extra Work: Some farmers may see making trellis for their garden a tedious work.
- Choking of tomato plants: Trellising hydroponic tomatoes old-wire method with raffia will result to the plants been choked to death. When raffia is used to support the fruit cluster weight, it prevents the plant’s peduncle from bending thereby choking it.
- Increased costs: using trellis raffia will mean additional cost of labor, material cost all for building the structure.
How does trellis netting improve yields over raffia twine
- A good netting used as a trellis for tomatoes is meant for long-term farming: if a farmer practices annual crop rotation system of farming, then building a trellis netting is the best an option for him/her. Because you can reutilize the existing trellis system for another crop cycle.
HORTOMALLAS manufactures and markets crop support nettings (trellising and tutoring as alternatives to the raffia twine labor intensive traditional system) that increase crop quality. Our Mission is to: INCREASE VEGETABLE CROP YIELD AND PROFITABILITY TO ALL THOSE VEGETABLES THAT NEED TUTORING AND SUPPORT USING NETTING INSTEAD OF RAFFIA. Since 1994 we help professional growers and farmers improve their cucumber, tomatoes, melon, zucchini, bean, chile, peppers crops where trellises and supports are needed. HORTOMALLAS is the ideal system for cucurbitacea and solonacea to improve their phytosanitary conditions, while increasing the solar exposure and the brix degrees. Besides the obvious labor costs savings, the use of HORTOMALLAS increases the life span of the plant, allowing longer periods of harvests and of a greater quality. Call us, our crop specialists will help you with specialized attention in the Americas and the Iberian Peninsula!