REMESH TOMATO CAGES ARE ONE OF THE BEST PLANT SUPPORT TECHNIQUE
Remesh tomato cages combine caging with stacking, providing extra support to the plant
Remesh tomato cages are one of the most used plant support technique by farmers who want to cheapen inversion costs while increasing the final product quality. These cages are made of remesh trellises; that is to say, concrete wire used for civil works. The material turns out to be very strong and cheap, and that is why it is perfect for making these cylindrical cages, which use to be from 3 to 6 feet tal (0, to 1,8 m) and between 18 and 30 inches in diameter (46 to 76 cm). Besides, remesh tomato cages have to be placed in rows separated between each other by 30 to 42 inches apart (0,8 to 1,1m), and keep a distance from 24 to 30 inches (62 to 76 cm) between each cage to ease air flow circulation and allow an appropriate ventilation.
There are many reasons why this is a so widely implemented technique besides the ones that have already been mentioned, here there are some of them:
- As the plant grows, it is supported from the remesh cage, and when it is finally ready to bear fruits these sprout off the ground, which makes it less prone to contract infections, pounding and reaching pests.
- This method prevents the plant of tilting by the weight of the fruits or the action of strong wind currents; this is like that because the plant is supported by several sides at the same time.
- It is not necessary to prone the plant, which simplifies labor costs and saves time but, nevertheless, the plant can be reduced to 3 or 4 main stems if it is wanted to make manipulation easier.
- Inside this cages plants grow more freely, which causes them to develop abundant foliage, providing protection to fruits from possible damage due to the sun’s rays.
- As previously mentioned, remesh tomato cages combine caging and stacking, but in an easier way because mostly the plant stands alone, and tutoring work to be done is much simpler than with conventional stacking.
As you can see, remesh tomato cages are a very easy, practical and cheap tutoring method and it yields very good results; cages are very easy to assemble and the materials to do it are not really expensive and can be found in any building materials store; some even are sold already done, anyway you have to make sure that the wire mesh is made of 6×6 inches squares (15×15 cm), so that the plant is easy and comfortable to manipulate. Notwithstanding, the use of these cages have little drawbacks, for example, with pests contractions. This is due to the characteristic dense foliage, which heighten temperatures and humidity inside remesh tomato cages, creating a perfect environment for bacteria and fungus to grow; but fortunately, it is almost effortless to fumigate cages and to maintain adequate sanitary measures, but is has to be done regularly guarantee good hygiene and prevent the plant to contract severe infections causing the loss of production.