Horticultural NettingHorticultural netting is the act of providing support to vegetables allowing them to grow in the best way possible. The net is made out of polypropylene; and was made famous in the 1960’s in England and Italy. Horticultural nets are available in a lot of different sizes; made for different purposes. The smaller mesh sizes of width 10-18 cm are used mostly for flowers. These nets hold the plant in a vertical position, keeping them as aesthetically pleasing as possible; retaining its commercial value. The larger mesh sizes allow harvesting without damaging the crop and are mostly used to support vegetables like cucurbits (squash, pumpkin, zucchini, watermelon, and cucumber), solanaceae (potato, eggplant, pepper); and legumes. When trellising net is used, the plant leans on the mesh and the weight of the fruit will choke the fruit.imagen 1Advantages of Horticultural Netting Horticultural netting has a lot of advantages accrued to its use.
- Use of the net increases the aeration and sun exposure.
- It also protects the plants flowers and fruits so that the fruits are not mistakenly crushed by workers who are walking along the furrows.
- The practice of horticultural netting increases the plant density, since each plant will be able to expand in a vertical direction.
- It increases the rate of the pollination of flowers by exposing the flowers to insects that pollinate them.
- It increases the life span of the plant by protecting it from the dangers listed above.
- Horticultural netting in conclusion increases the yield of the crops.
- Since the nets are made of re-usable materials, they can be used over and over again. Thereby saving costs.
- It’s a time saver when compared to the time taken to form a trellis.
- The use of horticultural netting diminishes the need for workers to handle the plants, thus reducing the possibility of spreading any diseases.
HORTOMALLAS manufactures and markets crop support nettings (trellising and tutoring as alternatives to the raffia twine labor intensive traditional system) that increase crop quality. Our Mission is to: INCREASE VEGETABLE CROP YIELD AND PROFITABILITY TO ALL THOSE VEGETABLES THAT NEED TUTORING AND SUPPORT USING NETTING INSTEAD OF RAFFIA. Since 1994 we help professional growers and farmers improve their cucumber, tomatoes, melon, zucchini, bean, chile, peppers crops where trellises and supports are needed. HORTOMALLAS is the ideal system for cucurbitacea and solonacea to improve their phytosanitary conditions, while increasing the solar exposure and the brix degrees. Besides the obvious labor costs savings, the use of HORTOMALLAS increases the life span of the plant, allowing longer periods of harvests and of a greater quality. Call us, our crop specialists will help you with specialized attention in the Americas and the Iberian Peninsula!